Considering A PhD?

31 Aug

6 Responses to “Considering A PhD?”

1. Mark August 31, 2011 at 4:31 pm #

Thanks for this, Sheril. The good things in life aren’t usually fame or money. Though…I’d think that credibility also creeps in like income/stability.

2. EmilyKennedy September 1, 2011 at 7:17 pm #

How about, I want to contribute to the research in my field, because the world is not getting any better without increased understanding of our problems.

• Sheril Kirshenbaum September 4, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

Hopefully that ties into the first reason :)

3. Dan S. September 2, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

Great post

I’m planning to do a PhD but have heard so many horror stories.

I adore science, have a couple of fields that I would happily devote my life to understanding, so am reassured by the first point.

Thanks

4. Autistic Lurker September 2, 2011 at 5:57 pm #

different dilemma but I’m pondering the question of my second undergrad major: Neuroscience or Business.

Neuroscience: I like the field and have a publication but there’s no job below postdoc and I’ll be 50 by the time I’m a postdoc.

Business (operation research): I like the field too but less than Neuro. Also have 3 potential business partners who absolutely want me in their team.

A.L.

p.s. first undergrad major is Computer Science.

5. Murfomurf October 21, 2011 at 9:51 pm #

I’m considering a PhD because it’s the only method I have found for obtaining some income for 3 years! As I’ve been unable to get work in any of my chosen fields, and suffer from more and more depression, the longer I remain completely dependent on others. I’ve been slowly doing an MPH over the last few years and am about to dot the Is and cross the Ts; I’ve started a PhD before but my employers didn’t like it so I discontinued, I have done more research than you can point a stick at already and know what I have to do and a head brimming with ideas for research projects. I can’t obtain an income from the state [Australia doesn't have social security for women under 65 who live with a male wage-earner], I haven’t been in jobs with attached superannuaton for long enough to get a self-funded pension, I’m too pissed off with life to volunteer & hope for a job, and state pensions don’t kick in until I’m 65 [soon to be made 70!]. My brain needs some work- there are stacks of scholarships which pay at least 50% more than social security, so that’s what I’m heading for! What’s another useless degree under my belt?- at least it will keep me alive!